Friday, October 24, 2014

Dear Ben Affleck: Words from a Woman raised in Islam (unedited)


A bit of a preamble before the unedited letter: 

To all you wonderful folk who have taken the time to read and help spread my message, my letter to Ben - I am truly honoured, humbled and grateful. Thank you so much. Your kind words and encouragement have meant a lot to me. Forgive me if I have been unable to thank everyone individually. 

There have been some interesting conversations surrounding this letter. Some have called me, predictably, an 'Islamophobe'. Some have called me, rather confusingly, an 'Islamist'/apologist. I certainly can't be both. I was told by someone that I was aiding genocide through such a 'hateful' piece, that's a bit of a stretch - come on now! And from the side that called me an apologist, I was apparently unrealistic and disillusioned to think any Muslims at all could be peaceful. *sigh*

Some have asked me why, if I have the courage to speak out, I have not left the faith? 

If you have followed me for some time - you will know that I am indeed an atheist - and a vocal one at that. I refer to myself as a 'woman born and raised in Islam' and loosely group myself in with other muslims when i say 'we' (because even as an ex-muslim I do consider myself as part of the community) in the article. I do not however refer to myself as a 'Muslim woman'. The difference is subtle, I know. The piece was for a Pakistani publication, and so had to be worded this way. Even publishing this was an act of courage on their part. I am especially grateful to them for giving me a Pakistani platform to speak from. That kind of openness on their part is truly game-changing. 

You might see some articles about this letter, with sensationalist headlines such as 'Muslim woman speaks out against Islam', etc. That is a misrepresentation, because I am not a practising Muslim. 

I'd also just like to take a moment to talk about journalism etiquette. I have been hearing from several journalists who want to reprint the piece - and that is excellent. Please, by all means reprint and help spread the message. If you get in touch with me, I will most likely welcome the opportunity to have my words heard by a larger audience. Maybe we'll even get a response/reaction from Ben? (Nah, that's a long shot) 

There have been some instances however, where journalists have felt it is ok to copy and paste my ENTIRE piece as a 'quote'. My artwork was also used without even asking or informing me. Even though *eventually* properly attributed to me, one would expect that it is a basic courtesy to ask the person who's work you are using to funnel traffic to your website. Even if the piece in question is titled 'open letter', and is intended for public reading, one assumes that common courtesy will still prevail. 

Its not just one publication, several large name publications have used my work without sourcing properly in the past. I have always found this unfair, but am really unable to control it, as a not-so-important blogger. When I call this behaviour out, I am told to show 'gratitude' for the extra publicity. :/ 

I was actually even told by someone that I had 'delusions of grandeur' for expecting that publications would ask before lifting my piece. 

I'm wondering though, if these publications would be ok with me taking their articles and publishing on my blog (as a quote) and attributing to the first name of the author? 

So there is a writer called Joe who has some stuff to say:

"Joe's words, Joe's words"

he also says:

"Joe's words, Joe's words, Joe's entire piece." 

Yeah, something about that would rub them the wrong way, I'm sure. I dare not try it. I'm also not a journalist, so what would I know? 

Anyhow, individual use is also different from public use. If you want to post it up as your Facebook status, go for it. Share it in any way you like. But if you are a reputable publication - I will at least expect you to ask before. Just ask... that's all. :) If you don't ask, there is not much I can do, my work is up on the internet....I cannot control what you do with it. But it would be nice if you asked before using it to get hits on your site. Cheers. 

And now below, I will share with you my original unedited letter to Ben. Which for obvious reasons could not be printed as is. 

*********

Dear Ben, 

I am writing to you today, as a woman who was born and raised in Islam. I saw your discussion with Bill Maher and Sam Harris - And I must say, you did me a great disservice that day. Your heart was in the right place, of course, and it was lovely of you to step up and defend ‘my people’. 

What you really did though, perhaps inadvertently, was silence a conversation that never gets started. Two people attempted to begin a dialogue and you wouldn’t even listen. Why should any set of ideas be above criticism, Ben? 

Why are Muslims being ‘preserved’ in some time-capsule of centuries gone by? Why is it ok that we continue to live in a world where our women are compared to candy -- waiting to be consumed? Why is it ok for women of the rest of the world to fight for freedom and equality, while we are told to cover our shameful bodies? Can't you see that we are being held back from joining this elite club known as the 21st century? 

image from mahavalous.com
Noble liberals like yourself always stand up for the misrepresented Muslims and stand against the Islamophobes, which is great -- but who stands in my corner, and for the others who have been oppressed by the 'religion of peace'? Every time we raise our voices, one of us is killed or threatened. I am a blogger and illustrator, no threat to anyone Ben - except for those afraid of words and drawings. I want the freedom to express myself, without the very real fear that I might be killed for it. Is that too much to ask?

When I wrote a children’s book that carried a message of diversity and inclusivity for everyone, my life changed. My book, ‘My Chacha (uncle) is Gay' has the innocent anti-homophobia message, ‘Love belongs to Everyone’. This was not palatable to many of my Muslim brothers and sisters. 



Since that project I have been declared an ‘enemy of god’ and deemed worthy of death. All because I want to help create a world where South Asian children too can have their stories told, so they too can know that love comes in all forms, and that that’s ok. My muslim brothers and sisters were hit hard by this work because it addresses the issue of homophobia within our own community. It is not something they can pass off as ‘Western' immorality. Just like they deny that any issues exist within the doctrine of Islam, many deny that homosexuality exists amongst good, ‘moral’ muslims. 

Just like that, millions of people’s existence is rejected. Please do not defend people who think this way, and let me tell you Ben, many ‘good’ muslims do think this way.  

What you did by screaming ‘racist!’, was shut down a conversation that many of us have been waiting to have. You helped those who wish to deny there are issues, deny them. You became an instant hero, a defender of Islam. It’s kind, it really is. I understand, because I too am plagued and affected by the issues brought about by actual Islamophobia. I have a muslim name and brown skin, my peaceful relatives have been pushed in the subway and called ‘terrorist’ for no reason. 

I get that. 

We must distinguish critiquing an ideology from being hateful towards a group of people. And for this reason I think that tackling the issues within Islam should be two-pronged. They must be brought up, but simultaneously we should stress that blame for these issues cannot be placed on individuals. 

I am Pakistan’s only sex blogger, I am also a woman. I am by default a lesser being within Islam. The fact that I talk about sex makes me even more worthy of disgust. Sex is not something easily discussed amongst muslims. And in the efforts of preserving our religious purity, we let some very immoral acts slide. Things that can often be justified by religious scripture. I speak to women every day who suffer under the religion of peace because they are not held as equals. There are things you can use to justify marital rape within the texts, and things you can use to justify pedophilia, there are things you can use to justify beheading infidels and apostates - just as ISIS does. That is not to say that ALL muslims are pedophiles, rapists or violent beheaders, or that Islam promotes these things. But if you are a person looking to justify such acts, you may find what you are looking for within the texts. Countless numbers of people suffer because of this, Ben. 

Who will stand up for those people? In the interest of being politically correct and ‘liberal’ we silence the voices of millions. I am turning to you because you were instrumental in starting this conversation. Those of us who want reform are muted by extremists, as well as the liberals who betray us in the name of multiculturalism. 

ISIS paints a horrific picture, so I understand the knee-jerk reaction to deny any link. Most muslims choose to interpret scripture in a peaceful way, but that doesn’t mean the raw material isn’t there for those who choose the path of violence. That material must be addressed.  

Can we talk about the blatant double standards and violation of human rights, for a second? Mosques are built throughout Western countries, usually without much issue. But in the hub of Islam, the heart of Islam - in Saudi Arabia no one but muslims are allowed to officially practise their faith. There are no churches, temples or synagogues - because Saudi Arabia will not permit any non-muslim place of worship to exist. Who will hold them accountable for such injustice if we hush everyone who speaks out against Islam? 

What is so wrong with wanting to step into the current century? Why is there shame in accepting a book that is over a thousand years old just doesn’t hold up anymore? There should be no shame. There is no denying that violence, misogyny and homophobia exist in all religious texts, but Islam is the only religion that is adhered to so literally, to this day.

In your culture you have the luxury of calling such literalists “crazies", like the Westboro Baptist Church for example. In my culture, such values are upheld by more people than we realise. Many will try to deny it, but please hear me when I say that these are not fringe values. It is apparent in the lacking numbers of Muslims willing to speak out against the archaic Shariah law. The lack of acceptance for any alternate sexuality, the punishment for blasphemy and apostasy, these things are tools of oppression. Why are they not addressed even by the peaceful folk who “aren’t fanatical, who just want to have some sandwiches and pray five times a day?” Where are the Muslim protestors against Blasphemy laws/apostasy? Where are the Muslims who take a stand against Shariah? These sandwich-eating peaceful folk do not defend those suffering in the name of Islam Ben, and therein lies our problem.  

Maybe the points Maher and Harris were trying to make are more easily digested when coming from within the community, I can appreciate that. That is why I am writing to you, as someone who has personally been hurt by the lack of acknowledgement of these issues. 

If Muslims do not critique the atrocities that the religion *can* justify, then people on the outside will - and their message will not be listened to simply because of who they are. Its a vicious cycle, one that can only break if indeed, like Harris said, true reformers are empowered. 

I ask you and anyone reading this, to make an effort to seek out reformers from within our community, and support them in any way you can. 

If I were allowed to meet a man that is not my father, brother or husband unchaperoned - I would have loved to discuss this over drinks (which I am also not allowed to have) with you. So you see, things must change.
Sincerely, 

Eiynah

54 comments:

  1. Been on Twitter pretty much for the first time this entire week and realized even more what a crazy world this has become (maybe always was but I didn't know?).
    I did a fair bit of reading after I was, you might say almost traumatized, by the 9/11 events ("it happened here") and started reading reading reading on the subject of Islam, exchanging viewpoints online, etc. My final conclusion was that there was absolutely nothing that could be done unless Muslims change their mind as to the actual source of the Quran (what are the chances of that ever happening, one sect might kill the other) so I thought this situation is hopeless. I used to admire Tarek Fatah for his outspoken comments in his books but judging by his online comments this week I now feel that he is a racist himself, against whites, making very unbecoming remarks considering his stature, and I am thinking perhaps that online activity desensitizes people the same way as viewing violence on TV or games. In short, I no longer feel he is a positive influence for the modern Muslim cause and will not quote him ever again.
    If we survive ISIS and climate change, maybe a few generations from now, with more Muslims (like you) speaking out , the world might become a saner place again.
    Renee
    @Paro_leparo_le

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spoken. I am a white middle aged male and as such, speaking up against Islam ideology I am racist be default. I actually do call my self Islamophobic in order to stir up the debate, but as a gnostic atheist I am also against Judaism and Christianity to the point of phobia. It is the real suffering of especially women that I want to address. Women are the culture bearer and the mothers of coming generations. If we do not liberate all religiously oppressed women, we will be stuck in a ever perpetuating spiral of hate and violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Islam-o-phobic"; PHOBIC would imply that you have fear of them. Do you fear them? If not then you have not been well spoken.

      Delete
    2. I fear their ideas.

      Delete
  3. Dear Eiynah,

    I intend to give you a perspective in support if your stand (with due respects to your own intelligence).

    A verifiable fact, when it registers at emotional level becomes a conviction. A lie that registers at emotional level becomes a belief. An untruth that registers at emotional level manifests as need to conform.

    A conviction simply remains as a guide to reality and defines our world view. A belief has the potential to become a conviction to dictate our world view. An untruth has the potential to become a belief which can become a conviction. The draft does not run the other way round. Yet these are three flavors of the same process.


    Between a conviction, belief and need to conform; the Individual is always innocent and should be defended. This is what the liberals aim to do.

    However, what they fail to recognize is the "potential" that each assumes. When an untruth (which is what most religion is) becomes a conviction; it can manifest as evil. So any defense against sterotypes (sterotyping exists because sterotypes exist) without highlighting the issues surrounding the sterotype paramounts to self harm in the long run.

    Liberals should understand the method of evil (which is only relative by the way) before they put forward their defence of innocence. It simply needs to acknowledge that the change they are seeking or the world they desire will not happen without a dialog on the process of corruption on the "innocence" in an individual.

    Untruth does not distinguish or acknowledge your innocence because conformity cannot think outside its confines.

    Thank you.

    My id in case you would like to communicate: Surya.prakashv@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eiynah, I am one of those who has written on my own website against those like Ben Affleck and Reza Aslan who deny the link between Islam and the actions of people like Islamic terrorists. I think your letter is fantastic and I love that it has been published in Pakistan - that took a lot of bravery. I hadn't come across your website before, but I will continue to follow it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be happy to know that Bill Maher was being considered for some commencement speech for some such thing, because of his ignorant, racist remarks, that is being reconsidered. this isn't the first time Maher has gotten his ass in a jamb by being ignorant either, his late nite show got cancelled. i have seen him throw hissy fits on that show because someone was in disagreement with him. Affleck is a manufactured, pretty boy celeb that is a crappy actor. try to not be to offended by his ignorance either. Congrats to Malala for her Nobel. when i saw that on the news, i also saw some clip of some isis d-bag saying he would be proud to kill her. what a coward. last night on the news i saw a woman get stoned to death, it was blurred like the female breast often is. it made me sick. the woman's father did nothing, let it happen. The world needs more people like you and Malala in it, and less ignorant d-bags like isis, affleck, and maher, that's for sure. keep on keepen' on, well wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you even read this?? She WELCOMES the conversation that Bill Maher is trying to start. He's not racist or ignorant - he's asking why we don't stand up for the innocent!

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you're not aware, but that "ignorant d-bag" Maher kind of agrees with Eiynah--and by extension (I would think) you. If you take a little time to actually find out what someone is about before you trash them, maybe you won't look like a "d-bag" yourself.

      Delete
    3. Did you only read half of this article? Geez

      Delete
    4. Maher is not being reconsidered by Berkeley for the commencement speech. A few pissed off religious people sent a petition around and thought that would put a stop to him speaking but the university stands behind Maher's right to free speech.

      Delete
  6. Great blog! Re "Where are the Muslim protesters against blasphemy laws/apostasy? Where are the Muslims who take a stand against harsh interpretation of Shariah?"
    They call themselves Ahmadi Muslim and were declared non-Muslims by a law in Pakistan. So yes I agree with your question fully. Everything must be open to a civil dialogue. People tend to resort to violence because they were never trained in Ilm-ul-kalaam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While Ahmedis may be sympathetic to the term apostate because they themselves had to face the effects of what declaring someone one does, I have seen ahmedis engage in denouncing homosexuals. So no, I don't think their selective outrage as a community is good enough. I agree that the treatment of Ahmedis in Pakistan is outrageous.

      Delete
    2. Where were the the majority of Christian white US citizens protesting against slavery in America? Where were the majority of Christian white people rallying against the segregation, random imprisonment, lynching and murder of black people in the US? Where are the majority of white US citizens marching in the streets against repeated violations of human rights of black and hispanic US citizens and frequent cold-blooded shootings of black youth by US law enforcement officers that continues today? Apathy is not unique to Islamic people. Let's not pretend it is.

      Delete
    3. Ok, let me be the first one to tell you that "America" is not a religion. As much as it can appear to be :P So your comparison is very poor. Secondly....things like slavery, and killing are condoned in the bible too. That is how those people justified these ideas, like with burnings. The bible is a very problematic text too. However, instead of getting all defensive.. perhaps you could take the time to see that this piece was not about christianity or the bible. And also - please see that Christians have come a long way from witch burnings, and DO NOT take their book as seriously as muslims do. That is the difference. In the days of witch burning, and even as recent as the days of slavery in the US people were more ignorant than they are today. We now have information at our fingertips...we have google...if ISIS is tech savvy enough to use youtube and instagram they should be smart enough to know its not ok to kill people for being infidels, or to take women as sex slaves... this things are straight from the book... the book many of us refuse to take less literally. Also, people protest current issues in the US all the time there are entire shows and publications dedicated to critiquing their own country ...and guess what.... no one gets beheaded for doing so. Again, please try to remember America is not a religion.

      Delete
  7. Hi. I'm liberal! And I am always up for a good discussion on sexism, homophobia, misogyny, that exists in any cultural or in any religion - including Islam. Your open letter is awesome. I would just like to stand up for liberals and say not all of us are afraid of dialogue. Also, well-written preamble. When I discussed your piece on Facebook with a friend I had to dig for your first name and did not find your last name. I thought this very inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, my last name is not used because Eiynah is a pseudonym, I go by that for safety purposes. Thank you for caring that it may not have been properly attributed though :)

      Delete
    2. Jane obviously doesn't get it so I'll explain it simply for her.
      Remember Charlie Hebdo? Eiynah does.

      Delete
  8. Excellent letter. Thank you for your bravery in speaking up. The world needs more humans like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this. I have definitely noticed people tend to fall on one side or another -defending or damning ( like in the Ben Affleck/ Mauer argument) when the truth is, of course, more complicated, as you have described so well. I'm so glad I came across your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Eiynah, I just read your amazing open letter to Ben Affleck on http://www.http://scroll.in/ and you were properly cited there with a link to your blog. Also, they did not use your drawings without permission.

    Thank you for being brave and speaking out. I hope some day you will be able to do that safely under your full name instead of a pseudonym. The world is a slightly better place because of people like you. I'll follow your blog now and spread the good word.

    Wish you the best, and stay safe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mads,
    Thanks so much for your kind words! Yes haha, Scroll.in are complete professionals who contacted me about reprinting, they had full permission and they gave due credit. :) I am so happy they reprinted the piece as they have a good open-minded audience it seems! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. La hawla quwatta illah billah. You may have been raised in Islam but that doesn't mean Allah willed for you to understand it. You were Muslim in name only and no one passed you down anything. You are fighting a battle you have come ill equipped to fight. The light in the hearts 1.5 billion people will not be extinguished by the likes of you or bill mahr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're absolutely right. Please tell me how I misunderstood the verses below:

      On Apostasy:

      Qur'an (4:89) - "They wish that you should disbelieve as they disbelieve, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them, until they emigrate in the way of God; then, if they turn their backs, take them, and slay them wherever you find them; take not to yourselves any one of them as friend or helper."

      Qur'an (9:11-12) - "But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then are they your brethren in religion. We detail Our revelations for a people who have knowledge. And if they break their pledges after their treaty (hath been made with you) and assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief - Lo! they have no binding oaths - in order that they may desist."

      Bukhari (52:260) - "...The Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "

      Bukhari (83:37) - "Allah's Apostle never killed anyone except in one of the following three situations: (1) A person who killed somebody unjustly, was killed (in Qisas,) (2) a married person who committed illegal sexual intercourse and (3) a man who fought against Allah and His Apostle and deserted Islam and became an apostate."

      Bukhari (84:57) - [In the words of] "Allah's Apostle, 'Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.'"

      On Blasphemy:

      Qur'an (33:57) - "Lo! those who malign Allah and His messenger, Allah hath cursed them in this world and the Hereafter, and hath prepared for them the doom of the disdained"

      "Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."

      When someone was very upset about a cushion:

      Narrated Aisha:
      (the wife of the Prophet) I bought a cushion having on it pictures (of animals). When Allah's Apostle saw it, he stood at the door and did not enter. I noticed the sign of disapproval on his face and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and His Apostle. What sin have I committed?' Allah's Apostle said. "What is this cushion?" I said, "I have bought it for you so that you may sit on it and recline on it." Allah's Apostle said, "The makers of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, 'Give life to what you have created (i.e., these pictures).' " The Prophet added, "The Angels of (Mercy) do not enter a house in which there are pictures (of animals)."

      —Muhammad al-Bukhari, Sahih al-Bukhari[35]

      Also, very sweet to smash things others hold sacred:

      To show the superiority of the monotheist faith, Muhammad smashed the idols at the Kaaba. He also removed paintings that were blasphemous to Islam

      On slavery and Polygamy, which is of course, skewed to favour men:

      Quran (4:3) - "Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if ye fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only) or (the captives) that your right hands possess."

      Delete
  13. Hi Eiynah,
    Thanks for sharing your views,feelings and conclusions from a lapsed muslim's (atheist) point of view.
    It was refreshing to see you pretty much nailed my own views on Islam as a lapsed Protestant (atheist).
    Where is the humanitarian outcry from the majority of Muslims over horrific acts carried out in their name? I know the West's hands are not clean BUT at least when our govt's do something we find unconscienable you can pretty much guarantee you'll find a sizable number of people protesting their decisions.And this is the crux of the problem with Islam.....the followers of the faith (on the whole) won't raise a dissenting voice, be it for fear of being ostrasized by their family and community or real fear of violence and/or death. It seems even peace loving,moderate muslims are either so indoctrinated that they can't/won't see what people are doing in THEIR name OR they're just too scared to condemn it and stand up and say "This is not in MY name!!".
    Don't get me wrong ,Christianity has a LOT to answer for over the past milennium and some of it may be unforgivable,especially for the other religions/indigenous people of the world . However,I'd like to hope that most of the world has moved on and religion,for most of the world, is no longer a reason to hate and kill our fellow man.
    Thank you for risking your life to open the world's eyes and hopefully one day Islam can be welcomed onto the world stage as the religion of peace and love that it professes to be.
    I hope that you stay strong and your views don't bring any harm to you or your family ....and thank you for standing up to be counted!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish you didn't generalize so much. I was raised as a Muslim just like you. I grew up in the Middle East and New York. Unlike you I am able to live my life just like any other western cultured person would. I have tattoos, a white Christian boyfriend, I work and occasionally I'll have a drink or two!! I think what Aslan said totally applies to your piece. Your piece should be specific and only represent Pakistani Islam. Like Aslan said I think you are dealing with a cultural issue in Pakistan. See outside of pakistan the religion is practiced differently. Pakistan is a country known for extremism and fundamentalism. Where my family is from we think you guys are nuts!!! So it is def a Pakistani problem and I think you should make that clear. None of my Muslim friends or family think like the people you are writing about in your piece. But then again none of them are from Pakistan. You must not be an avid follower of arabic news because if you did follow it you would see the biggest ISlamic Arab leaders denouncing ISIS as an un-Islamic group. Maybe in Pakistan ISIS is hailed as a hero. So please be considerate towards other cultures that practice ISlam that do not practice it like Pakistan. I'm sure all the westerners that cannot understand the complex cultures that make up the Islamic world will hail you as a hero but that it just because they lack so much knowledge of these different cultures.
    P.S I left the religion and I do not practice anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you would actually read your holy texts more. And try to understand my letter with an open mind. I did not say anywhere that there aren't muslims who drink.... I am saying if anyone follows the faith to a T they cannot. Aslan is full of lies and denial....he claimed that women in indonesia were 100% equal to men. He seriously claimed this. Anyways. enjoy your tattoos (I know I enjoy mine), but also know that you are not practicing your faith the way it was written. And while you're at it, please tell me if the following verses are from 'the book of Pakistan' or the Quran:

      On Apostasy:

      Qur'an (4:89) - "They wish that you should disbelieve as they disbelieve, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them, until they emigrate in the way of God; then, if they turn their backs, take them, and slay them wherever you find them; take not to yourselves any one of them as friend or helper."

      Qur'an (9:11-12) - "But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then are they your brethren in religion. We detail Our revelations for a people who have knowledge. And if they break their pledges after their treaty (hath been made with you) and assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief - Lo! they have no binding oaths - in order that they may desist."

      Bukhari (52:260) - "...The Prophet said, 'If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.' "

      Bukhari (83:37) - "Allah's Apostle never killed anyone except in one of the following three situations: (1) A person who killed somebody unjustly, was killed (in Qisas,) (2) a married person who committed illegal sexual intercourse and (3) a man who fought against Allah and His Apostle and deserted Islam and became an apostate."

      Bukhari (84:57) - [In the words of] "Allah's Apostle, 'Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.'"

      On Blasphemy:

      Qur'an (33:57) - "Lo! those who malign Allah and His messenger, Allah hath cursed them in this world and the Hereafter, and hath prepared for them the doom of the disdained"

      "Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."

      When someone was very upset about a cushion:

      Narrated Aisha:
      (the wife of the Prophet) I bought a cushion having on it pictures (of animals). When Allah's Apostle saw it, he stood at the door and did not enter. I noticed the sign of disapproval on his face and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and His Apostle. What sin have I committed?' Allah's Apostle said. "What is this cushion?" I said, "I have bought it for you so that you may sit on it and recline on it." Allah's Apostle said, "The makers of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, 'Give life to what you have created (i.e., these pictures).' " The Prophet added, "The Angels of (Mercy) do not enter a house in which there are pictures (of animals)."

      —Muhammad al-Bukhari, Sahih al-Bukhari[35]

      Also, very sweet to smash things others hold sacred:

      To show the superiority of the monotheist faith, Muhammad smashed the idols at the Kaaba. He also removed paintings that were blasphemous to Islam

      On slavery and Polygamy, which is of course, skewed to favour men:

      Quran (4:3) - "Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if ye fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only) or (the captives) that your right hands possess."

      Al-Bukhaari may Allaah have mercy upon him reported that Abu Juhayfah may Allaah be pleased with him said: "The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) cursed those ladies who practice tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed."

      Delete
  15. verlree and really believe that all religions have passages that could be quoted to justify abhorent behavior.I also think that if you look at all the major and minor religions of the world today that it is only in is well and that you have such a large number of its believers justifying these kind of evil quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live and work in Saudi Arabia and I have met Muslims that choose to find words of hate and others that choose to find words of peace in the texts. I am liberal but I came to understand a lot living here and having some progressive Muslim friends. The oppression of women and ideas in the culture here bothers me. I think you are brave! I know about the text and how people choose to look at it. The lack of people in the community speaking out against groups like ISIS and how Sharia law does not help this part of the world is sad. I have been lucky to meet educated progressive people, but I have met the other kind also. I hope more people like you speak out. I have witnessed the government arresting students for speaking out. Wow you are a brave lady.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. I pray for all Islamic women. For your future protection and safety. Your words can change people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you know that this letter was withdrawn from many facebook posts including Michael Moore's. I had to search hard to find it. What you have written is well said from the heart and long overdue. We all are threatened by all the intolerant philosophies of the world that refuse to recognize our Common Good and our Common Fate. Religion can be inclusive. All who believe in a Higher Source owe it to that Higher Source to recognize the Common Benefit of accepting one another in our various forms. All who don't believe in a Higher Source are all equally part of Livingkind and deserve to be included in the Common Vision of the FUTURE. Every LIFE is in this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The website crashed unfortunately due to a high level of traffic. The letter wasn't taken down ;) But hopefully its back up and running now! Thanks for taking the time to look it up though... much appreciated.

      Delete
  19. Dear Eiynah, Your courage is inspiring. I am a teacher in a NJ city and every year I have the pleasure of teaching more and more Muslim girls. I have to tell you that these girls are the most amazing, beautiful, and kindhearted individuals that I have ever taught. What I love MOST about them is their passion and drive. They want more for themselves and are determined to break free from the stereotypes within their community. They are intelligent, respected, and will not become the subservient women that their culture expects them to be. Many of these girls have parents who also want more for their daughters. They always ask me to help them lead their daughters in the right direction. They tell me they want their daughters to be happy, successful, and to do great things for the world. It's truly inspiring and I can see how excited these girls are about their future. Please know that you are DEFINATELY showing other young Muslim girls that they, too, deserve everything they want in life, that they are valuable, important, and awesome. I will pray for your safety and that your voice continues to be heard!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well stated, but its an isolated viewpoint ( your own based on your country - Pakistan) and NOT ALL Muslim counties which is all Affleck was saying. Your experience as a woman in a radical Muslim country is similar to that of women in Christian Eritrea and Ethiopia who are forced to have genital mutilation. Your Gay uncle would also be viewed as an "enemy of god" if he lived in Christian Uganda where being gay makes you subject to death or life imprisonment, BY LAW, based on Christian religious doctrine, making homosexuality an abomination punishable by god. Also in Christian Uganda, the Govt is trying to have gang rape of young women decriminalized. Do you than you would have more rights in Christian Uganda? Not likely.

    Many countries need a kick into the 21st century. Some are Muslim and some are not. You, like Maher keep stating Affleck was refusing to listen to any condemnation of extremist Islam. That's patently false. At no point did Affleck defend the extremism in Saudi Arabia (USAs best buddy) and other extremist states. #BenAffleck just said Saudi Arabia and ISIL are NOT reflective of ALL Muslims. Just like Uganda and Milosovics Serbia are not reflective of ALL Christians or Christianity. It's not that complicated.

    A black or Native American my age could write a similar 'Open letter' to the US govt. documenting discrimination, segregation, lynchings by the KKK, murders, having dogs and firehoses turned on them, being beaten, imprisoned and even killed at the hands of US law enforcement with full sanction of the US govt, just for peacefully demonstrating at a whites only lunch counter, usinga 'whites only' washroom, sitting at the front of a bus, marching for the right to vote, or just being black.

    Native Americans weren't even recognized as human by law in the US until the late 1960s.

    And let's not even talk about slavery.

    All as horrific and extreme as anything you as a woman are experiencing right now in Pakistan.

    Let's focus on fighting extremism and discrimination in general, NOT just Islamic extremism. Then we can make real strides instead of being caught up in facile ideological debates. Then we can see the equivalency between women and gays being persecuted in Christian Uganda and Muslim Saudi Arabia. Between women being subject to genital mutilation in Christian Eritrea and Ethiopia, just as they are in Muslim Somalia. Between journalists and children being slaughtered by Israel in Gaza, and by ISIL in Syria. You can only speak from the experience in your country. We must all learn to speak for the disenfranchised in our own country. Even if they don't look, act, worship, love, or have the same sexual organs as us. Extremism is extremism. Murder is murder. People are people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you Mo Ansar?! You have certain catchphrases that make your writing pretty obvious.

      Anyhow, please note (You are the second person I have had to inform today) that the US is not a religion *gasp*

      And also, there are entire shows and publications (that are also american) dedicated to critiquing their system. And guess what no one gets beheaded for those critiques. I don't even know why you are comparing blasphemy laws to critiquing a government. Bizarre... should have stayed in school a bit longer?

      Yea yea yea...christianity can be just as problematic if followed literally. So the key here is, try not to take religion so seriously. This is what muslims do not understand. Take it less literally, call it on the BS and we wont have a problem. There is no 'book of Pakistan' that everyone abides by.... the blasphemy laws have roots in the religion (do not shift the blame), as does the inequality of men and women. Please stop deflecting to 'but but ... in certain countries christianity is just as harsh" - because no, not since witch burning times has it been this way... the raw material for it to be is there of course... but my piece is about islam .. and the problems within that doctrine (I have every right to speak about issues within the faith I was raised with)... deflecting to the issues with another one doesn't let you of the hook. Why is this such a common defense strategy?

      "Many countries need a kick into the 21st century. Some are Muslim and some are not."

      YEah except most happen to be muslim - and they get their cues from all the terrible Quran and Hadith verses I have pointed out in the comment above., and my family is affected by that. I am most interested in speaking about what problems affect my community. But surprise surprise.. no one wants to have this discussion... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING. HAVE THIS DISCUSSION...lT IS TIME.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for your bravery, Eiynah. This is well-worded and deserves a wide audience.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well said, Eiynah and well done. I wish you protection and all the best in your efforts to entertain and to educate. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Succinct and well written. As stated not giving an opportunity to dis-agree, debate, argue or hold an independent thought is a basic human rights infringement.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Agree or not on the Islamic belief system....the need for open discussion on it, (without the fear of reprisal) is crucial. This appears to be the authors main point. Two stumble blocks make this very difficult.

    1:) By default; this belief system appears to be structured as to not accept any alternate viewpoints.

    2:) A society that clings to fear, like a security blanket...will never be really open to any dialog; with those that practice such rigid thinking.

    Is there anyway these two sides can even hope to meet at the same table? For the sake of humanity....there are those of us that truly hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hindu India law just ruled that raping a woman of menopausal age is legal. Gang rape in India is commonplace and generally results in no charges being laid, and the woman being vilified and condemned. Christian Uganda is trying to pass laws decriminalizing gang rape of women, and granting the death penalty for homosexuality. Christian NIgeria already has the death penalty for homosexuality. Let's stop the ignorance of painting Islamic nations as the only ones who are extremist to women. That way we can fight extremism and misogyny in general, as opposed to just Islamic extremism. http://news.oneindia.in/.../delhi-high-court-judgement...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misogyny in general is awful, and everyone rational is against it. But for one second stop being defensive - and look at the fact the misogyny within islamic countries is prescribed and backed by the scriptures. Just because I am pointing one thing out does not mean I am saying misogyny doesn't exist elsewhere. It exists in all religions, most religions though are not taken as literally as Islam. Must I repeat myself over and over? Stop being defensive, stop pointing to other nations. No one has said there is nothing wrong elsewhere in the world.... but this is a culture that is collectively being left behind. Recognize that.... don't deny it. Otherwise you are part of the problem.

      Delete
  26. I think that the men who write the Shuras and expound the Fatwas are indeed married to that which they possess in their right hands! Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for your bravery. Thank you for educating us. And thank you for speaking to a celebrity like he's a human being; because that's all he is. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Religion is the ultimate mousetrap but still it does not work without cheese. Affleck is the latest ‘cheese’ in the (Dr. Maurice) Bucaille genre.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such an awesome letter, Eiynah... May the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How funny was the open letter. Lack wisdom. Intelligence put forth to showcase. And what else a atheist can? You are only woman in you country who speak about today's religion with S initial. Great job! Job of the century.

    Khalid

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm up to the bit in Heretic where Hirsi Ali quotes you. It's 5 paragraphs! More than I expected. Excellent. :)
    I may have used a black pen to fix the spelling of your name in this library copy of the book. The next reader will see it spelt correctly. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woooot!! Haha that's awesome...thank you :) <3

      Delete
  32. I just listened to your Polite Conversation with Ali Rizvi, who I have been following for some time. That led me to your Letter to Ben which I missed when you put it out. It it a pleasure to find another voice discussing these issues in an intellectually honest way. Thankfully the ranks appear to be growing. In a world where conservative oppression and jihadist terrorism are growing problems these are conversations that we must have. You spoke at some length about face coverings in your podcast. I don't fear their wearers as terrorists but I definitely fear that they hold beliefs that are inconsistent with Western freedoms. I'm still find it shocking that the city of Ottawa hosted a Hijab Solidarity Day at City Hall recently. I imagine that next year it will be FMG Solidarity Day? Hopefully more people will have your courage and name repressive practices for what they are.
    Thank you for your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words John :) I too am always surprised at the hijab solidarity we see nowadays. Apparently Sesame street has now created a local character for the Afghan version, except, it appears she wears a hijab sometimes...and she's 6 :(

      I'm glad u enjoyed the podcast.

      Delete